Delivery : Digital Download Immediately
Jane Yakel – Cognition, Communication, & Critical Thinking – Essential Components of Rehab: Assessment & Treatment of Neurological Impairments
Course Download Size :
- Jane Yakel
- 5 Hours 41 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Mar 24, 2018
The Three Essential Components of Rehabilitation
Attention, memory, and executive functions are the most commonly reported problems associated with neurological insults whether the impairment is secondary to injury, disease, or a disorder. Neurological impairments decrease one’s ability to assimilate information needed for learning; they can isolate and/or limit social interactions; and they significantly decrease one’s overall quality of life. The full spectrum of neurological impairments affects a person cognitively, physically, emotionally, socially, and functionally. Since patients are diverse in etiology, pathology, and functional abilities, understanding the processes underlying cognitive-communication impairments is absolutely crucial. Choosing relevant assessment instruments and learning to think critically when developing effective intervention techniques is paramount for successful outcomes.
In this dynamic program, rich with case studies and interactive learning, Jane Yakel, MS, CCC-SLP, reveals the essence of cognitive-communication disorders and offers a neuroscience model used to guide intervention. Relating this model to frequently used assessment measures/instruments, Jane will provide you with innovative and evidence-based approaches to therapy and intervention techniques focusing on the three key domains of cognitive communication: attention, memory, and executive function. The “neuroscience systems” models of memory will also be discussed in relation to areas of cognitive breakdown. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to enhance your practice with intervention strategies that can be applied immediately to your current caseload.
|Manual – Cognition, Communication, & Critical Thinking (2.94 MB)||90 Pages||Available after Purchase|
COGNITIVE COMMUNICATION DISORDERS: THE ARCHIVES OF THE BRAIN
- Developing a critical thinking approach to therapeutic intervention
- Full spectrum of neurological disorders
COMPREHENSIVE PATIENT ASSESSMENTS
- Dynamic Assessments
- Person-Centered Assessment
- Ethics and Professionalism
ATTENTION DOMAIN: THE HEART OF IT ALL (CASE STUDY ICON)
- Attention systems and behavioral deficits
- Assessments/tests for attention deficits
- Unilateral visual neglect: Assessment and Treatment
- Treatment of attention deficits
- Case studies: Learning assessments
PROCESSING SPEED DOMAIN: THE ROOT OF INTELLIGENCE
- Assessments/tests for processing speed deficits
- Treatment for processing speed deficits
MEMORY DOMAIN: MIRRORS OF THE MIND (CASE STUDY ICON)
- Neuroscience systems of memory
- Declarative/Explicit/Conscious memory
- Non-declarative/Implicit/Unconscious memory
- Decisions for consideration for memory interventions
- Etiology: Is memory loss reversible or irreversible?
- Assessments: Screenings, Standardized, Staging, or Person-Centered?
- Approaches: Didactic, Compensatory, Functional, or Adaptive?
- Specific approaches
- Case studies: Learning assessments
EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONS DOMAIN: THE MONITOR (CASE STUDY ICON)
- Definition, development, importance: High level cognitive abilities
- Responsibilities of executive functions/frontal lobe
- Behaviors associated with frontal lobe impairments
- Assessments/tests for executive function deficits
- Treatment of targeted executive function behaviors
- Environmental interventions and strategies
- Case studies: Learning assessment
MAXIMIZE BRAIN FUNCTION/HEALTH MANAGEMENT
- Memories: Worse enemies
- Prevention of normal memory loss
- Depression with neuropathology
Jane Yakel, M.S., CCC-SLP Related seminars and products: 6
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Jane Yakel, M.S. CCC-SLP, is a certified and licensed (VA #2202005215) Speech- Language Pathologist with over 40 years of experience in the care of persons suffering from neuropathology disorders. Jane is currently a private contractor and consultant in Virginia and has worked in a variety of settings including acute care, outpatient clinics, home health agencies, skilled nursing homes, independent and assisted living facilities, hospitals and schools. She has taught at the University of Wyoming, Utah State University and DeVry University (Phoenix). She has been a regional clinical specialist and a national trainer for rehabilitation program directors and has served as a director of a community re-entry program for traumatic brain injury survivors. She has shared her expertise as an author and presenter at national and state board continuing education courses on various topics including, Prospective Payment System; Medicare Documentation; Ethics and Professionalism; Comprehensive Assessment of the Adult Patient; Quality Indicators: QA / QI; Customer Service; Nursing Documentation; Managing Dysphagia as well as Cognitive Communication Disorders in the Neurological Impaired; Cognitive Rehabilitation and Dementia.
Jane is the author of two comprehensive manuals and informative guides in the field of Dysphagia and Cognitive Rehabilitation. Jane’s book on Dementia: Interventions for Severe Cognitive Impairments gives detailed intervention strategies for professionals working with patients who suffer from significantly decrease cognitive status. The book is tailored for multiple disciplines within the healthcare field as well as caregivers.
Jane is a member of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, served as a representative for the People to People Ambassador Program for America Speech and Hearing Association and is a prior member of the Wyoming Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. She completed her undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Wyoming, specializing in neuropathology. Jane currently owns ProStar Communications, LLC, a professional communications company, and Yakel Educations, LLC, a professional publishing company.
Financial: Jane Yakel is the owner of ProStar Communications, LLC and Yakel Educations, LLC. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Jane Yakel is a member of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Readmore: Jane Yakel
- 1 Jane Yakel – Cognition, Communication, & Critical Thinking – Essential Components of Rehab: Assessment & Treatment of Neurological Impairments