Effective Strategies to Calm
Delivery : Digital Download Immediately
Jennifer L. Abel – Anxiety, Worry & Panic: Effective Strategies to Calm the Anxious Mind
Course Download Size :
- Jennifer L. Abel
- 6 Hours 19 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- May 05, 2020
Do you want to gain powerful techniques for your clients who struggle with treatment-resistant anxiety, worry and panic? Learn how to assess anxious habits, symptoms and behaviors using effective cutting-edge, evidence-based strategies…even with your toughest clients!
Dr. Jennifer Abel will teach you how to stop the anxiety spiral early to significantly reduce the habit of worry and panic using self-controlled desensitization. Experience how evidence-based treatments can help your clients problem solve, reduce tension, and increase energy. Learn unique, effective approaches to mindfulness, cognitive therapy, and exposure, including thought-labeling, interoceptive exposure, and better-but believable thoughts.
Case studies, role plays, demonstrations and interactive discussions will be utilized in this cutting-edge recording.
|Manual – Anxiety, Worry & Panic (10.76 MB)||40 Pages||Available after Purchase|
Anxiety Spirals, Panic and Early Cue Detection
- Examples of Worry Spirals and Panic Spirals
- The Empirical Evidence
- 3 Benefits of Catching Anxiety Early
- Reminders for Catching Anxiety Early
- Move Toward Relaxation vs. Away From Anxiety
- Process vs. Command
- Present Focus – Mindfulness as a Relaxation Tool
- Observation of Thoughts and Emotion
- Labeling of Thoughts and Emotions
- Observation and Labeling Game
Self-Controlled Desensitization (SCD)
- Rationale for SCD
- Formal SCD
- In-Session SCD
- Active Relaxation
- An Alternative Way to Do Cognitive Therapy – B3s
- Find Alternative Thoughts
- The Role of “Shoulds” and “Need To’s”
- Change to “Want To’s”
- The Humor of Worry
- Deal with Superstitious Worry
- Limitations of Research and CBT Interventions
- Worry Prevents Problem Solving-Evidence
- 4 Ways to Do Problem Solving
OCD-Like Symptoms in Panic and Worry
- Dangers of a Poor Assessment
- Stop Encouraging Avoidance and Escape
- Assess for Negative Reinforcement
- Remove Crutches
- Traditional Exposure
- Interoceptive Exposure for Panic
- Finding and Flooding “The Real Worry”
- Risks Associated with Treatment of Panic
- Related Research Limitations
Reduce Tension and Increase Energy
- Progressive-Muscle Relaxation
- Quick Alternatives to PMR
- Energy Conservation
Problems That are Often Treatment Resistant and How to Approach Them
- Hypochondriasis and Fear of Untimely Death
- Catastrophizing/Intolerance of Uncertainty
Jennifer L. Abel, Ph.D. Related seminars and products: 6
Jennifer L. Abel, Ph.D., international speaker, author and clinical psychologist, has specialized in the treatment of anxiety disorders for over 20 years. Before opening a private practice, she served as the associate director of the Stress and Anxiety Disorders Institute at Penn State under the direction of the leading expert in Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), T.D. Borkovec.
Her first book, Active Relaxation (Self-Published, 2010) has received outstanding reviews from mental health care professionals and anxious readers alike. Her second book, Resistant Anxiety, Worry, and Panic: 86 Practical Treatment Strategies for Clinicians (PESI, 2014), has received praise from top experts in anxiety management. Jennifer is also the author of The Anxiety, Worry & Depression Workbook: 65 Exercises, Worksheets & Tips to Improve Mood and Feel Better (PESI, 2018) and the Melt Worry and Relax Card Deck: 56 CBT & Mindfulness Strategies to Release Anxiety (PESI, 2016).
Dr. Abel has published many articles in professional journals and wrote a pamphlet about GAD for ABCT. She has been quoted by several popular magazines (e.g., Health, Prevention, Glamour) for her expertise in Worry. Dr. Abel presents to the public (e.g., Working Women’s Survival Show), as well as professionals (e.g., Australian Psychological Society; Anxiety Disorder Association of America).
Financial: Jennifer Abel is in private practice. She receives compensation as a self-published author. Jennifer Abel receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Jennifer Abel has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Readmore: Jennifer L. Abel