Delivery : Digital Download Immediately
Dianne Gottlieb – Transgender & Gender Non-Binary (TGNB) Adult Clients: Culturally-Competent Strategies Every Clinician Should Know
Course Download Size :
- Dianne Gottlieb
- 6 Hours 24 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Aug 12, 2020
Are you working with clients who are questioning their gender identity, already out in the community, possibly living a stealth life, or have just recently come to the realization that they are transgender? Or maybe you are curious about working with this population though feel unsure because you’re unfamiliar with the unique terminology and clinical needs? This course is for you!
Gender therapist Dianne Gottlieb, MS, LMFT, will show you how to create a safe and respectful therapeutic environment in which clients can navigate their way through their very personal transition process on the way to living an authentic life.
In this recording, she will share over 15 years of clinical experience along with her uniquely personal story of how she learned first-hand what compassion, respect, and acceptance truly mean for an individual who identifies as transgender. Leave behind your preconceived ideas about what is masculine and feminine and open your heart and mind to developing an understanding of what it is like to not adhere to the traditional binary concept of gender.
This information-packed program will leave you with the confidence to implement effective treatment strategies for working with transgender and gender non-binary adult clients. Don’t miss out on the chance to expand the clinical populations you serve!
|Manual – Transgender & Gender Non-Binary (TGNB) Adult Clients (2.4 MB)||120 Pages||Available after Purchase|
AVOID COMMON MISTAKES & CREATE A GENDER-AFFIRMING ENVIRONMENT
- Confusing sex with gender
- Multiple roles of ally, resource, educator, & advocate
- Using a Gender-Affirming Therapy Model
- Create a TGNB inclusive intake form & office environment
- Respectful gender-appropriate language
UNDERSTAND GENDER IDENTITY FORMATION
- Gender identity and gender expression
- Possible causes of Gender Dysphoria
- Consider intersex condition
- Challenge the binary gender spectrum
- Learn the latest gender identity terminology
- Working with gender questioning clients
PSYCHOSOCIAL ASSESSMENT OF TGNB CLIENTS
- Critical assessment questions
- When to diagnosis Gender Dysphoria
- Effectively assess for co-existing mental health disorders
- Evaluate for suicidality & self-harm
- Identify supportive individuals
- Explore feelings of internalized transphobia
UNIQUE ADVERSITIES TGNB CLIENTS FACE
- Prepare a safety letter
- Microaggressions & systemic discrimination
- Intimate partner violence & HIV
HELP CLIENTS NAVIGATE SEX IN AN INCONGRUENT BODY
- Sexual orientation and the TGNB client
- Genital dysphoria and sexual activity
- Reframing sexual organs
STAGES OF TRANSITION & COMING OUT
- Non-medical transition steps
- Create a transition timeline
- Who, when, and how to tell others
- Help families process the news
- Create a support system
ADDRESS MEDICAL & LEGAL TRANSITION GOALS
- Therapist’s role as a “Gatekeeper”
- Informed Consent Model of treatment
- WPATH Standards of Care
- Prepare letters for hormone therapy and gender-affirmation surgeries
- Basics of gender-affirming surgeries and effects of cross-gender hormones
- Prepare clients for legal name, gender marker, & birth certificate changes
GAINS & LOSSES OF TRANSITIONING
- Impact on love relationships, family and friends, and changing roles
- Dating as your true self
- Potential loss of relationships, housing, employment, religion
- Changes in societal status and privilege
- Incorporate old self with new self
- Grieving process due to changes
- Unique impact of transition on the older client
- Looking at the impact of transition years later
BECOME A RESOURCE FOR TGNB CLIENTS
- Referral resources in the medical community
- Local and national TGNB-friendly resources
- WPATH’s Global Education Initiative: The Path of Certification
Dianne Gottlieb, MS, LMFT Related seminars and products: 1
DIANNE GOTTLIEB, MS, LMFT, gender therapist, has been working with transgender and gender non-binary individuals and their families for over 15 years. She is dedicated to being a resource and advocate for her clients and is a respected educator of therapists and medical professionals in Arizona.
A former film studio publicist and national television producer, Dianne has a private practice in Scottsdale, AZ, where she specializes in gender therapy, premarital counseling, love relationship problems, life and career transitions, self-esteem issues, and LGBTQ counseling.
A graduate of Seton Hall University with a Masters of Science in marriage and family therapy, she is a member of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), a Clinical Fellow of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, and a past board director of the Arizona Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. For nine years, Dianne also taught college courses in abnormal psychology and the psychology of human sexuality.
Financial: Dianne Gottlieb is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Dianne Gottleib is a Clinical Fellow for the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy; and the Arizona Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. Speaker is the ex-wife of an individual who identifies as transgender.
Readmore: Dianne Gottlieb