Mastering the Anxiety Game
Delivery : Digital Download Immediately
Reid Wilson – Mastering the Anxiety Game in Clinical Practice: Rapid Change for the Anxious Mind
Course Download Size :
- Reid Wilson
- 5 Hours 47 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- May 04, 2018
When it comes to treating anxiety, growing evidence shows that the quickest, most effective approach involves ramping up fears while welcoming the experience.
Join internationally recognized anxiety disorders treatment expert and author, Reid Wilson, PhD, for this cutting-edge seminar and start helping your clients stop the noise and change the way they relate to their anxieties.
You will learn how to rapidly engage anxious clients in the therapeutic alliance and then help them shift their relationship with their fears and override the responses that perpetuate them. You’ll explore paradoxical strategies to help clients transform their anxieties and worries from intimidating threats into challenges that they can meet and conquer. The goal is to persuade clients to adopt a self-help protocol to voluntarily, purposely and aggressively seek out uncertainty moment-by-moment
- Challenge the dominance of anxiety!
- Implement simple paradoxical strategies
- Teach clients to seek out anxiety and uncertainty
|Manual (2.15 MB)||34 Pages||Available after Purchase|
Get Things Done Briefly
- The new data on rapid gain in treatment
- The Key: Promote change by transforming beliefs
- How to challenge resistance and the “getting rid of” pendulum problem
- Why provoking symptoms is better therapy than tolerating them
The Four Paradoxical Strategies
1. Step Back – Detachment and the Stepping Back Process
- Detach from the anxiety-provoking topic
- Change signals into noise
- Step back to gain perspective in the moment
- Generalized anxiety: “Maybe it’s this and not that”
2. Want It – Voluntarily Choosing the Experience
- Use the power of paradox to train the amygdala
- Use interoceptive exposure to modify beliefs
- Elevate a competing emotional attitude
- Choose awkward, clumsy, embarrassed, and insecure
3. Step Forward – Stepping Toward the Threat
- Move clients from defense to offence
- Persuade clients to provoke doubt and distress
- The “seeking out” strategy
- The “only do what you want to do” stance
4. Be Cunning – Talk to Anxiety
- The 3-step formula: Personify, Externalize, and Simplify
- Welcome doubt and distress through the front door
- The “act as though” principle
Doing the Work
- The logic and power of self-talk cues during performance
- Two forms of self-talk: Motivation & commands
- The benefits of moment-by-moment goals
- Generate and debriefing behavioral experiments
- Play with anxiety: How to score points
Reid Wilson, Ph.D. Related seminars and products: 6
Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center
Reid Wilson, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist who directs the Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center in Chapel Hill and Durham, NC. He is author of the just-released Stopping the Noise in Your Head: The New Way to Overcome Anxiety and Worry and the classic self-help book Don’t Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks. He is co-author of Stop Obsessing! How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions, as well as Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children.
Dr. Wilson is a Founding Clinical Fellow of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) and Fellow of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT). In 2014, he was honored with the ADAA’s Jerilyn Ross Clinician Advocate Award – the highest national award in his field. He designed and served as lead psychologist for American Airlines’ first national program for the fearful flier and currently serves as the expert for WebMD’s Panic and Anxiety Community.
Financial: Reid Wilson is the director at the Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center. Dr. Wilson is an adjunct associate professor of psychiatry at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Reid Wilson is a Founding Clinical Fellow of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA); and Fellow of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT).
Readmore: Reid Wilson
- 1 Reid Wilson – Mastering the Anxiety Game in Clinical Practice: Rapid Change for the Anxious Mind